Thursday, September 18, 2014

The concept of studying logic has never occurred to me to be difficult at all. Before coming to class, I thought the course would be relatively easy, but I was immediately proven wrong after going to a few classes. The first few classes were quite straightforward; we talked about some of the basic symbols in mathematics and defined what a set is.  However, the activity where we had to explain some of the python functions and give it to another student to match it with the correct statement base on their understanding of our explanation was quite difficult.   Not only was it difficult to correctly put down the meaning of the function, it was equally, if not even more, difficult to understand what the other student was trying to convey.  This prompted me to begin to improve on my communication skill as it will become a valuable skill not only in computer science, but also in the real world.


Another idea I found quite fascinating was the difference/similarity between universal and existential statements.  The concepts were quite easy – teaching us how to verify and falsify both types of statements.   What I didn’t consider was how the statement “Everyone who is taller than 5 meters is taking computer science course” is true. This statement is true because there is no way of showing a counter example to this claim (no one is taller than 5 meters).  This idea was a bit new to me since I never knew logic can be used this way.  These classes show me that there is definitely a lot more about logic that I can learn from this course and who knows, maybe this course can help me out with my LSAT that I’m currently studying for! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home